The Greater Hartford Progressive Democratic Women's Club was founded in September 24th, 1964 by eleven women. The main goal in the 60's was to support African American men in their struggle, to pursue a minority role in leadership in Hartford, Connecticut and men who made a decision to run for public office, state or national.Our support is by endorsements, hosting fundraisers and monetary donations. Also, we volunteer to handle door to door canvassing, mailing and handout candidate's informational literature. We work in the office of the candidates making phone calls and stuffing mailings.
This organization expanded its goals in the 1970's: actively supported both men and women in all levels of elected public office. We continue to support those individuals who have similar interest today in Bloomfield, Hartford, East Hartford, Waterbury, New Haven, Middletown and Windsor. The Greater Hartford Progressive Democratic Women's Club is a charter of the Connecticut Federation of Democratic Women(CFDW) which was founded in 1952 and a member of the National Federation of Democratic Women(NFDW). The NationalFederation of Democratic Women was founded in 1922 Fannie Dixon Welch.